Call 416 441 2666 Toll free 1 885 582 7263
WCAG is the Web Content Accessibility Guideline created by the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) to make the internet accessible to people with disabilities, and is the Accessibility Standard for Information and Communications for businesses and organizations in Ontario.
Does your organization have 50 or more employees? Are you governmental, public, non-profit or private? Compliance varies for each type of organization. Check the links below to see where you fit in.
For more details, visit the Ontario Ministry of Economic Development, Employment & Infrastructure website at: http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/accessibility/info_sheets/info_comm/website.aspx
For an overview of the W3C’s guidelines, read: http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/Overview.html
Examples of accessibility:
- Organizations who post videos online must make use of captioning for the hearing impaired.
- Organizations must offer alternative formats of communications. (eg. to provide text only communications, enabling visually impaired people to make use of screen reading software). This must be provided as quickly as possible — and at no extra cost when a person with a disability requests it.
- Provide alternate printed materials for those that are visually impaired and who request them — especially emergency service information.
Examples of compliance:
- Images must have captioning and alternate text.
- There must be a high contrast between text and a background colour.
- Tables and charts must be readable with assisted technologies.
- Content must be created so as not to confuse those who use assisted technologies.
Things to avoid:
- Colour highlighted text: people with visual disabilities cannot distinguish some colours correctly.
- Blinking or flashing images: to protect those with photosensitive seizure disorders.
- Quick slides: time must be given for reading text. Slides must have pause capabilities.
To discuss how we can help to make your website conform to WCAG standards, contact Mystique Brand Communications today.
Mystique Brand Communications